**Closing date for applications extended to 27th November 2015**
Maternity Cover - Office and Communications Manager
Reports to: Director
Salary: £18,500 pro rata
Status: Temporary Contract. 4 days/week
Based: Labour HQ, Victoria Street, London
This is an exciting position for a dedicated individual with strong communication, administration and book-keeping skills. Working with the Director and the officer group, the post holder will be responsible for the smooth running of Christians on the Left’s office, during our current OCM’s Maternity Leave.
Christians on the Left (formerly The Christian Socialist Movement) is a movement of Christians active in politics to secure change for the common good. It is a socialist society affiliated to the Labour Party. Its membership is around 1600 including clergy, trades unionists, local councillors, local Labour Party activists, people active in their local churches and more than 40 MPs and peers.
The strategic aims of COTL are:
(a) to be a clear voice for Christian Socialist values to the church, government, media, Parliament and
the wider labour movement;
(b) to educate and resource our members and others engaged in public life and policy debate;
(c) to highlight the spiritual nature of our work and be a spiritual resource for our members;
(d) to be a professional, democratic and efficient organisation in all that we say and do.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSTHOLDER
The post holder will work closely with the Director and will have good working relations with the officer group and the Executive Committee. The main duties and responsibilities of the job are to:
1. Support the Director in developing the movement, and in supporting the officer group and Executive Committee
2. Assist with the organisation and management of COTL’s work, including conferences and events, meetings of the officer group, Executive Committees and the Annual General Meeting.
3. Run COTL's office
1.1 Manage web-based office system and regularly update the website
1.2 Respond to telephone, email and written enquiries
1.3 Draft letters and reports
1.4 Maintain and update the database of members
1.5 Oversee office resources and merchandise purchases and sales
4. Manage the financial processes of the Movement (with guidance of the Treasurer)
2.1 Process invoices and make payments
2.2 Reconcile monthly statements with membership payments
2.3 Process petty cash each month according to set timetables
2.4 Bank all cheques and cash received
2.5 Set up and administer Direct Debits
5. Provide communications support to members, officers and committee members, particularly through the virtual office system.
The balance of these tasks will be determined by the requirements of COTL at any particular time as decided by the Director. COTL is a small organisation and staff may be asked to share, from time to time, in duties not specifically indicated in their job description.
Please refer to these points when you are making your application.
- Degree or equivalent education
- Minimum one year's experience in administration
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, verbally and online
- Interest and/or experience of web-based communications and networking
- Excellent telephone manner and listening skills
- Excellent organisational, administrative and time management skills, including an ability to meet tight deadlines
- Knowledge of legal/financial issues associated with the running of an office
- Experience of maintaining financial records and budgets
- Experience of standard office software and accounting packages
- Experience of payment systems (direct debits, standing orders, online payments)
- Ability to plan and to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to establish effective relationships with members and supporters
- Commitment to and sympathy with COTL's purpose, vision and values and a general interest in politics
- Experience of organising events
- Able to show understanding of the structure of the Churches and the Labour Party and the interests and activities of their members from their engagement and experience
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Temporary Contract (Beginning at 6 months, with a possible extention)
- Termination – two month’s notice on either side.
- Salary £18,500 p.a. (at 4 days/week)
- 28 hours per week, with time off in lieu for overtime worked
- Annual review
- 20 days annual holiday (pro rata) and statutory holidays. Three of these days should be taken between Christmas and the New Year. Holiday may not normally be taken in the period up to Labour Party conference in September or just before the AGM in March
Please apply to Andy Flannagan, Director, Christians on the Left, (email@example.com), enclosing your current CV and a letter setting out how you are suitable for the job, referring to your own life experience and the above specification.
For further information about COTL visit www.christiansontheleft.org.uk
Closing Date: 9am, Friday 27th November 2015 (we will contact candidates that afternoon)
Interviews: Week Beginning 30th November 2015
Start date: Early 2016
COTL is an Equal Opportunities employer and is supportive of flexible working patterns. COTL’s offices are wheelchair accessible. Due to UK law, COTL is only able to employ people who are entitled to work in the EU/UK.